Types of investigations that can be accommodated:
• Ignition and flammability study of spacecraft materials
in practical geometries and realistic atmospheric conditions.
• Spark ignition to support EVA suit design.
• Ignition studies for selection of cabin materials
(similar to current NASA test).
• Improved understanding of early fire growth behavior.
• Validation of NASA materials flammability selection 1-g test protocols for low-gravity fires.
• Validation of material flammability numerical models.
• Suppression of burning materials by diluents, flow reduction and venting.
Facility Capabilities / Approach:
• Develop FLAME facility (CIR insert and avionics) to support multiple solid-material combustion and fire suppression studies
• Utilize Combustion Integrated Rack (CIR)
• Support multiple investigations using common infrastructure:
• Common interfaces and flow control
• Removable test sections and sample holders
• Removable ignition system